Sunday, December 13, 2009

A few months ago, I sent my nephew a box containing several gifts. My nephew lives in an apartment with his parents so you can imagine how concern I was whether he would actually receive his package; especially when I had not received a letter or even call from him several weeks letter. Needless to say his (or should I say his parents) failure to send me a thank you note, or call for that matter, put a damper on my gift giving to my nephew.



Sending a thank you note is not just etiquette; it is how you show the giver you appreciate their thought and effort. Never forget that there are other things people can do with their money than spend it on you.


Thank you notes are easy to write and do not have to be long. According to Heartfelt Thank Yous, by Beverly Clark, here is what should be included in thank you notes:


1. The gift givers name and salutation.

Ex.: Dear Grandma Tate,


2. Use the words “thank you” and thank the giver for the specific name of the gift


Ex.: Thank you for the beautiful candlestick holders.


3. Say something nice about the gift and/or how you plan to use the gift.


Ex.: I used them last night to decorate the table when John and I had dinner; it was very romantic.


4. If you wish, you can add a sentence or two about what is going on in your life.


Ex. We are working on those great grandchildren for you (smile).

5. Signature line


Ex. Love, Indra


See, easy. No more excuses! Send those thank you notes out in a timely matter. Over the next few weeks we will talk about stationery and how to create personalized stationery that reflects who you are and inspire you to write.

Talk to you soon. And let the adventures begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment